Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

V-Tech

I wasn't going to post anything about the horrible events V-Tech, but I've gotten a few emails and messages through myspace asking me about it. I really don't know anything other than what's been on the news. I am in Virginia, but I'm several hours away from Blacksburg. My next door neighbor has a son there in the engineering program and he is (thankfully) ok, but that' s really my only connection to the school.

I haven't been sleeping well the last few days, so I've been listening to a lot of late night talk radio. When something like this happens all the crazies pop out of the woodwork to try to explain how and why it happened. Over the last two nights I've heard everything from "if students we're allowed to have guns, that nut wouldn't of had a chance" to "the chinese planted a microchip in that guy's brain". I even heard someone blaming creative writing programs, now that Smoking Gun and some other sites have put some of Seung-Hui's writing online. I'm more than a little angry at the way the the media has been exploring and taking advantage of this tragedy for the sole reason of ratings and not to explore ways to heal the community.

So please keep your personal and political crusades out of this. The families who lost loved ones and the entire V-tech community needs time to grieve. Please give it to them.

Excelsior.

No comments: