Pages

Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Genre Benders

I finished the Sedaris book. I guess I'll be giving it a favorable review. While it lacks a lot of depth and substance, it is a quick read and it gave me enough chuckles that I enjoyed it.

Next on my pile to look at is Litt Riffs edited by Matthew Miel, who I gather is an agent for a publishing house. I have mixed feelings about it. The concept looks fun; authors were invited to write a short story inspired by a song of their choice. The lineup is good with Jonathan Lethem, Tom Perotta, Aimee Bender and an old piece from Lester Bangs. What gives me pause is that it's a joint publishing effort between Pocket Books and Mtv Books. No, you didn't read that wrong. Mtv books.

Perhaps it will be good. They're doing good things with their rock-the-vote campaign and Spoke N' Heard is supposed to be good (or so I hear, I lack cable t.v.). But I wonder about anything with their label on it. We'll see. Maybe they'll surprise me. I hope so.

Excelsior

2 comments:

LadyLitBlitzin said...

Wow, that sounds really cool. What a great idea, I can't wait to hear how it is... but seriously, who knew there was any such thing as MTV Books? Weird...

Hebdomeros said...

I'm about 100 pages into it, and so far it's really good. I may not be able to review it, though. The mag I review for looks at adult books for teen readers. It might be a little too "literary", but we'll see how it goes.