Pages

Saturday, August 13, 2005

Festivals Aplenty for Lovers of the Word

For those of you like me weary of the heat, here are a few large-scale lit events coming up over the next few weeks to give you something to look forward to.

Things start off with Horrorfind, a convention on all things horror being held a little north of Baltimore. Movies, writers, small presses, and yes, Bruce Campbell are just some of the draws for this odd little gathering. I'm pretty sure I'll be going, so I'll have a report of sorts after diving into the dark side of lit next weekend. I'm not much of an autograph hound, but I should probably pick up Mr. Campbell's new novel to sign. Special thanks to Bruce, Thalia, and Adam for emailing me and answering my questions about Horrorfind.


Next up is a week long event held on the campus of George Mason University on Wednesday Sept 14-Wednesday Sept 21, dubbed Fall For the Book. Big name and local writers attending will read and speak on different issues of their craft and the biz of writing. I went for a few of the events last year, and found it to be great festival.

The following weekend, two big fests go toe-to-toe for attendance numbers. Friday Running Sept 23-Sunday Sept 25, the Baltimore Book Festival mixes local authors, writing groups, and publishing houses with big name writers like Louis Sachar and T.C. Boyle. Saturday, Sept 24 is the blitzkrieg of book events, the National Book Festival held on the National Mall in downtown D.C. Neil Gaiman, David McCullough, Gish Gen, R.L. Stine...it's a sort of who's who of people putting out books over this fall's publishing season. Surprisingly, there's not a lot of overlap between the Baltimore and NBF venues. If you want to catch everything, prepare to spend a lot of time on I-95.

Excelsior.

No comments: