Pages

Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Guilty Pleasures

As my sinuses continue to squeeze my head to a pinpoint, I'm wondering about people's guilty pleasures. You know you have them. Those authors you read, those t.v. shows you watch, those bands you listen to you might not want the world at large to know about. To get the ball rolling, here are a few of mine:

T.V.: Smallville I'm a junkie for anything tied to comic books. Sometimes kryptonite being the cause of nearly everything is a little tiresome, but I can't begin to tell you how excited I am knowing that Mr. Mxzptlk, the great imp of comics, will be on tomorrow night's episode.

Books: Simon Hawke. Started reading him with his "Time Wars" series back when I was in sixth grade and I still get whatever he puts out. In the 90's he did a series about magic coming back to the modern world (which feature everything from levitating taxi cabs to talking brooms), and now he's writing mysteries set in the time of Shakespeare. Cheezy and tongue in cheek, I never quite know how seriously he takes his own stuff.

This morning I just sent a story to both Barrelhouse and Pindeldyboz. I'll report on their response times when Ihear back.

Excelsior

6 comments:

LadyLitBlitzin said...

I think horror movies are my big guilty pleasure. However, I feel better about them than I would if I were one of those people for whom romantic comedies were a guilty pleasure. I guess I've had my moments when I've watched a romantic comedy but some people can't not stop on them when they're channel surfing.

Jay and Silent Bob movies are another one.

Every once in a blue moon I'll buy one of those women's magazines. That's a serious guilty pleasure, though I usually regret it after.

Buffy was a guilty pleasure.

Hmm... that's about it. That I can think of off the top of my head! But what a good question for writers and artists. Like the things that are relaxing but are really mental junk food.

Feel better!!! And let us know how it goes with Barrelhouse. It's been more than their 2 month limit for my submission to them.

Hebdomeros said...

I took great pleasure from both Buffy and Angel. Never felt guilty about it, though :)

LadyLitBlitzin said...

Come to think of it, I don't have natural guilt about Buffy, I would only feel guilty when my roommate would come home while I was watching. She's so not into that stuff.

I never got into Angel though, for whatever reason, even when they imported hottie vampire Spike.

Oh, and Barrelhouse has had my submission for more than 3 months, not the 2 months I said before. Sigh. I am wondering if they should go into my non-responder column. I guess I'll give it a month or so more and then move on.

Queenie said...

TV-SURVIVOR(Shut-up)
Books-John Irving

Q

Anonymous said...

Yay Buffy and Angel!

Uhm, lessee, my biggest guilty pleasures are probably pizza and chocolate. Oh,and orange milano cookies. Not a big shoe or Cosmo gal, though I do like to pick up a copy of Bust magazine once in awhile. Hot baths. Gilmore Girls. Dancing to corny disco music in front of my mirror. Does it count if I go weak in the knees from Tamil bronze sculptures of Hindu gods? Or medieval illuminated manuscripts? Probably not. Uhm, erotic art is a guilty pleasure. Italy is a guilty pleasure country.

I'm sure I'm missing some obvious ones...

-L

Hebdomeros said...

Queenie: Thanks for dropping by. I've never actually read Irving, so I'm not sure how to take your thinking of him as a guilty pleasure. Hope you come back by.

Lady: I'll keep my eye on Barrelhouse. You should send them a "what's up?" letter, though. Just to check. Can't hurt.

Anon L: Medieval manuscripts, etc are only a guilty pleasure if you make them so. If you're proud of your love for them, scream it out loud to the world!