Pages

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Serendipity and The Walking Dead

I went to the monthly book reviewers meeting for the magazine last night. Among other things, they asked me to review Smokler's Bookmark Now!. So looks like that book is moving up in the pile. Also got the latest and supposedly last installment of the Dan Simmons Ilium series.

Damn him for making another big brick of a book I know I'll have to read. The first one features some rather brilliant discussions between two robots on which human author is better...Shakespeare or Proust. All while the robots are hurtling to their deaths in a crashing spacecraft. Good fun.

I've got my reading really laid out for me this month. One of these days I'll be able to tackle some of the lit journals.

For a complete tangent, Steven Shaviro has an interesting essay/review on George Romero's Land of the Dead. I didn't enjoy it half as much as he did, but he makes some interesting points about the political content in the movie. Not surprising from a guy who wrote some pretty smart essays on postmodernism by talking about the comic book series Doom Patrol. His site in general is worth a look, too, if you have any interest in the varying intersections of pop-culture, political discussions, and post-modern theory.

Excelsior.

No comments: