Pages

Friday, July 29, 2005

A Little Horror and Religion for the Weekend

Last night the magazine sent me an early copy of the new Anne Rice. Like a lot of readers, I was really into the first three books of the Vampire series, but haven't really been into anything else she's written. Part of that, I'm sure, is because I was a Freshman in college when I read the first three, and that kind of book seems tailored for someone in that age range.

I'm more than a little intrigued by her new direction. Her new novel, Out of Egypt, is a fictionalized account on the life of Jesus Christ. It's a chance for her to break out of the vampire/witch mode while still doing a lot of what she does best. Now that I think about it, there's almost a King James Bible quality to some of her writing. Not necessarily the content, but the mythic quality and the general flow of her descriptions. Anyway, the novel doesn't hit the stores until November, so it will probably be a month or more before I get to it.

On a somewhat related note, if anyone's ever been to the Horrorfind Convention before, please email me. It's coming to Baltimore and I'm debating over going or not. Mostly I'm interested in finding some mags and small presses for market possibilties, and maybe talking to some writers. Some bad horror movie screenings, though, would be fun, too.

Heading south for the weekend, so no posts until next week. The Happy Booker and Matt Kirkpatrick both have good suggestions for lit activities over the weekend, so check them out.

Excelsior.

No comments: