Pages

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Never Give Up the Good Fight

Apparently I had my head buried in the sand and missed this year's Balticon. For the uninitiated, Balticon is a gigantic S/F oriented convention held yearly in Baltimore. I've only been once before, but it put all other conventions to shame. Any convention of its type features way-out fans dressed like their favorite characters, but when I went I saw witness to people dressed as everything from your typical Kligons all the way out to Transformers. Quite a geek fest, so I obviously fit right in. Seriously, it's kind of a rare chance to meet and talk to people who like some of the same books and movies I like. And I'm sure it was way geeked up this year, with Star Wars and Star Trek just finishing up.

It was probably 8 years ago when I last went. I always mean to go, and always seem to miss it.

On the good side, I see on their site that one of their guests was Count Gore De Vol. For the few reading this who may have lived in the D.C. area in the 70's and 80's, the good Count was a fixture of local t.v. During the day he dressed in a faux Star Trek uniform, called himself Captain 20 and hosted a kiddie program called WOW. On weekend nights he changed personas, becoming the Count, a bloodsucking vampiric fiend who hosted the late night Creature Feature. The Creature Feature, the good Captain and the Count all vanished when Channel 20 became part of the UPN network, and I haven't heard a thing about him since.

But, god bless him, he's still fighting the good fight online, hosting and running a weekly creature feature. If you love the old horror movies like I do, little ventures like this one are probably the best way to find them anymore. I know I'll be watching.

Excelsior.

No comments: